October and Pregnancy thoughts


"Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter."
-Carol Bishop Hipps

I love fall. I wish I could've spent more time outdoors this season. It was still fun with general conference, salsa-making, butternut squash picking, byu football, and getting to listen to our baby's heart beat.





We finished the backyard! I shouldn't say we...really, it was all Devin. I've been no help at all lately, but my very manly husband has worked hard at finishing the sprinklers, and getting the grass and trees in.




I was finally feeling well enough to get up in the mountains and see the leaves. As we were hiking, there was this guy who kept popping up along the trail asking if we wanted him to take a picture of us. Kinda creepy, but nice i guess.






This is me at 18 weeks. I'm definetly in the fat, akward stage.

Pregnancy has had its ups and downs. The headaches and nausea have been the hardest thing for me. The fifth month has been a little better, so hopefully there are more ups than downs
from now on. Here are some things I have learned along the way:
-Keep soda crackers, ice chips, and a cold washcloth at your bedside at all times.
-Get extra pillows.
-***ALWAYS keep a puke bowl or bag in your car ***
-Try not to feel sad about having terrible acne and about crying at the dermatologist's office.
-Keep jolly ranchers in your pocket to counteract the constant bad taste in your mouth.
-Do not attempt to insert or pull a nasogastric tube when taking care of patients at the hospital.
-When you prepare a meal, don't expect to feel like eating it when it's finally ready.

-Don't feel bad when someone says to you: "You're starting to look a little thick in the waist." (Yes, Tarisa, someone said that to me too).
-Lastly, do not go searching through textbooks/internet and get worried about every symptom you may or may not be experiencing.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

kate- you look adorable! I'm not even pregnant and I am "thicker in the waist" than you are! woe is me... good luck in month 5! hopefully you feel all the way better.

Jessica said...

kate- you look adorable! I'm not even pregnant and I am "thicker in the waist" than you are! woe is me... good luck in month 5! hopefully you feel all the way better.

She Loves To Make said...

Your ward looks awesome! You have a beautiful house. Yuck, the ackward fat stage...it's so awful, but you will miss it when you can barely fit through a door haha :) You look GREAT!

Clark and Katie said...

Kati!! I have been waiting for these pictures! You look great and cute and like Mckell said to me...enjoy the thickness in the waist while it's firm, when the babies out you'll still be thick in the waist and it will be blubber!! I miss you.

Nina said...

Kati,
you are so cute! I love your little baby bump, and you don't look fat at all! But I know what you mean about feeling that way. :) And I can totally sympathize about the acne, it's HORRIBLE. I can't look at my face too long in the mirror without getting depressed. And I can't read too many books either, I think nursing school has made us paranoid enough! I'm so excited for you guys and glad you're feeling better!

Stephanie H. said...

Katie you look so great for 18 weeks! Not 'fat' or 'awkward' at all!! You can't even tell you're pregnant! I wish I could tell you it gets better from here, but the second half just brings on new issues! :)
It's fun for me to see your house and yard so we can get some ideas for our house. I really like your back patio, I think we'll do something similar.

Hawaii Monkeys said...

haven't checked your blog for awhile. I loved reading your tips on pregnancy, so great- brought memories and I think it's so great you wrote them down. All downsides are nothing compared to the end! :) Your house looks so cute with all those pumpkins!! love you guys!

Tarisa said...

haha..thick in the waste..what a nightmare.

Debi said...

Kati, you're so cute. I love, love all the things you've learned. So funny.

Anonymous said...

oh Kati, I am SOOOO sorry you still don't feel good! I hope you have learned about zofran, and a few other fun prescriptions. I have no advise...I just feel for you. But, this much I do know...it's worth it. It's all worth it. Hang in there. Tape an ultrasound photo to the toilet, and let the count down begin!