swimming against the current

Devin and I have been so busy with work! I keep trying to tell myself that it will be worth it, because the money is helping us save up for a down payment on a house. So far it is working, and I've been able to just keep plugging along. Bring on more 13 hour night shifts!!

Because of the lack of excitement in our lives lately, I have nothing new to write about, but I thought I'd record some thoughts I've had. Because I missed part of general conference, I was reading through the talks and finally came to President Monson's closing remarks:


"We live at a time when many in the world have slipped from the moorings of safety found in compliance with the commandments. It is a time of permissiveness, with society in general routinely disregarding and breaking the laws of God. We often find ourselves swimming against the current, and sometimes it seems as though the current could carry us away..."

"...I am reminded of the words of the Lord found in the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon. Said the Lord, “Ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come.”1 My brothers and sisters, He has prepared us. If we heed His words and live the commandments, we will survive this time of permissiveness and wickedness---a time which can be compared with the waves and the winds and the floods that can destroy. He is ever mindful of us. He loves us and will bless us as we do what is right."


I feel like I have found myself swimming against the current lately. I'm finally getting my turn to experience what it feels like to be the one who is different... even here in Utah. Although I'm definitely not perfect at it, I'm learning that I need to stand up for what's right, no matter what other people think of me.....which has been hard because, I'll admit it, I'm such a people-pleaser. I'm grateful for my husband, and good family and friends who are great examples of this, and for the little reminders that the Lord really is mindful of me.


I almost forgot, we did find time in October for a weekend trip to the Bear River Cabin and had a great time even though it was cold!

Brothers-in law Andy and Matt, and Devin with my nieces and nephew


5 comments:

lindsi said...

Thanks for the god reminder Kate...we have been feeling like we are "swimming against the current" lately also. I'll have to go back and read Pres. Monson's talk again! Thanks for babysitting last night while we went to the temple...you guys are the greatest!

Clark and Katie said...

Kati--
I know what you mean about feeling different. It's kind of a hard time right after being married and before kids I think. You're a great example of doing the right thing...I always knew if I stuck with you I'd be alright!

Debi said...

good thoughts kate! we had fun with you at the cabin. good times.

Anonymous said...

Hey, What about all those BYU Games! And you got a new Cell Phone! Yay! Keep up your hard work Slice!

fünf said...

Thanks for the thought. It really filled the void for me tonight. Also been struggling with that. I hope we get to see you at New Years! Right? Time to hang out! Love ya.