yes, I have a heart condition

Well I have some catching up to do. The past couple months have been a little tough, but also filled with lots of blessings. Here is the story for those who wanted to hear it:

Ever since I was little, I've had these crazy heart palpitations where my heart would start racing. They would never last very long at all, and they didn't come very often, so I never had it checked out. Well, during the first week of March, I was at work one night and my heart started doing it again. So we hooked me up to the telemetry monitor and found out that my heart rate was almost 200 and that I was in a slightly dangerous rhythm called SVT (supra-ventricular tachycarda). I thought that my heart would slow down like it normally does, but this time it didn't. So after about 40 minutes, I gave in and went down to the ER where they could give me an IV drug called adenosine to basically stop my heart and restart it. It was a little scary and it felt awful.

To make a long story short, after another trip to the ER, I met with a cardiologist who said that I had an extra electrical pathway in my heart. He said that it is somewhat common and that I was probably born with it. So I decided to have a procedure called a catheter ablation done. It has a 95% success rate for my condition. They stuck a catheter through my neck and groin, and ran it into my heart. Then they mapped out my heart's electrical system. Once they found the extra pathway, they cauterized it, which eliminated the heart's ability to go back into SVT.

So...hopefully I am cured for life and will never have to deal with that again! If there is any heart condition to have, I'm glad I had this one because it is very treatable. I'm very grateful for all of your prayers and fasting, it really did help me. I've noticed so many little blessings in my life lately that I know have come from Heavenly Father. Because of all of these little tender mercies, I have been able to feel very calm and to know of a surety that He is watching over me, which is such a comforting feeling to have.

Anyway, I'm feeling much better and am excited to have this new house- Katie you asked for some pictures of the house, here are a few!




Devin's brother, Travis, helped us ALL weekend with painting. Thanks Trav, it looks great!


master bathroom


kitchen


movie room




We went to the BYU vs U of U rugby game with Travis and his very cute girlfriend, Amber



Last but not least, my sister Debi had her baby- Jane Elga Youngs! Welcome to the family!








7 comments:

Clark and Katie said...

Love the house! Thanks for the pictures...now I just need to see it in person sometime! I still can't believe that you were in SVT...all through high school and college I remember you saying your heart was racing and I never thought too much of it!

Devin and McKell Poulton said...

I'm so glad you are feeling good and everything is okay! Your house is beautiful. I'd love to have your kitchen:)

mattie said...

kati! beautiful house!

so, my sister lauren has wolf parkinson's white disease (i think that's what it's called). she was born with it and had to have an emergency c-section because she went into SVT. she was fine all through childhood and then went into SVT last year and it wouldn't stop. she had the ablation done a few weeks later and she's completely fine now. i also have a friend whose son was born with it, so it is pretty common.

i'm glad you're okay! it is a pretty good heart condition to have if you have to have heart condition.

Lisa said...

Kati- I am so glad you are doing better girl!! We need to get together sometime soon. Your house is gorgeous. Congrats!! :)

Rebecca said...

Aren't we lucky to be nurses and be so close to medical attention when it's needed?! (It was way awesome and comforting to be working in L&D/Postpartum when I was preggo)

Glad everything turned out alright, hope it stays that way.

And your house is GORGEOUS!! I wish there were more words to describe it, but I can't think of any.

Jessica said...

Kati! Oh my goodness. We are so glad that you are ok!

Ummm... where do you live? I might come and kidnap you so that I can assume your identity and live in that fabulous house! We have a loooong way to go before we get into something that great! You deserve it!

She Loves To Make said...

I'm glad you are ok. You house is absolutely beautiful!!! You'll have to post more pictures later :)